This is definitely do-able. I say this because I spent under 150 euros on my entire wardrobe for my weekend in Milan. Also during my stay, I was offered two photo shoots with top photographers, who happen to work at Milan fashion week. I also was asked for an interview, and even the chance to be featured in a magazine. All because I wore these simple, classic looks and walked in the most luxurious streets at the right time. I want to share with you my looks, as well as some tips on how to look more like a "metropolitan tourist", instead of "I don't care I'm on vacation comfy look", which is fine, but no excuses to look sloppy, especially in one of the top Fashion capitals in the world, just saying.
The best part is, you really don't need to spend a fortune on looks. So here are my top 5 must do's before going to Milan or any place you plan to take some fabulous photos.
1. Select pieces that don't wrinkle. When I opened my suitcase, I found that a couple items were ruined from being rolled and didn't look so nice on. So If you have access to an iron or steamer, perfect. If not, I would bring light-weight fabrics such as crepe blends, chiffon, or some pieces with polyester that hold more body, or pieces with a relaxed shape. Great tip If you run into a problem, I would recommend taking some water the day before and splashing your wrinkled pieces of clothing (sounds strange but it works) and of course place it on a hanger to dry evenly. Watch and see the wrinkles become less noticeable the next day.
What Am I Wearing?
White Off-the-Shoulder Petal Top - Made In Italy (10 Eur)
Purple Floral Flared Skirt - Dynamite Canada (19.99 Cnd)
Grey Handbag - Parfois (19.99 Eur)
Baby-pink Platform Sandals - (29.99 Eur)
2. Try to bring versatile pieces that are clean and simple. Such as jewelry that has straight lines on a solid white blouse for example. Then select something with a simple pattern or interesting design. I really love the Zara look. Maybe you can find some inspiration from this brand, and I also really love buying pieces at Mango. Then go wild with a shoes or even the hand bag. Have fun with your look!
What am I Wearing?
Baby-pink Halter Top - Forever 21 ($19.99 Cnd)
Navy relaxed Trousers - Zara (29.99 Eur)
Paisley Envelope Clutch - Boutique in Italy (10 Eur)
Rose-gold tribal necklace - H&M (10 Eur)
Rose-gold rounded Sunglasses - Vendor spot in Porto, Portugal (5 Eur)
Black studded Loafers - Boutique in Italy (on sale for 29.99 Eur)
3. The shoes are key. Forget the runners unless you are doing an athletic-inspired look. Otherwise keep them at the gym, or find some comfortable loafers, platforms, sneakers or converse. I know lately Nike has brought out some really unique styles with floral, patterns, but I think they look distracting, in my opinion. Keep it classic and simple, which just makes your look seem more "expensive".
4. Location Location Location. This is important because, backdrops, incredible monuments, and buildings are absolutely beautiful in Italy and all over Europe. This gives you the opportunity to work with places you might not ever see anywhere else, and to really bump up your Instagram and social media following. If your not in Europe, I am sure you can find a nice doorway, charming building, brick wall, botanical garden or beautiful outdoor landscape.
5. How to Select the Best Styles for You? I would recommend purchasing pieces that are versatile, and work with everything you plan to bring on your holiday. But, I would also bring a couple statement pieces to really make you stand out. For example, I purchased a 10 Eur clutch that looks like its worth a lot more and works with every outfit I own. The black and white look is so classic, and the print is not overwhelming, which makes this look work.
I am smaller on the top part of my body, so wearing a halter top works best for me, and also looks very elegant whether paired with a skirt or even a cute pair of jeans. Also, the white over-the-shoulder blouse can easily be paired with the navy trousers. This versatility makes your job less difficult, especially if you plan to travel just for a weekend or short period. Plan ahead of time your outfits, and know what works best for you! Feel confident and comfortable in what you are wearing and it will shine through and make you look your best in the photos.
Want to read more? Follow and like my page on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram @Stylistnomad and share with your friends!
If you are interested in collaborating with Lauren on a project, or would like your business promoted? Send an email message to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Look forward to connecting!